Friday 11 May 2012

Friday Fantastic Feature: C.A. Szarek




 It's that time of the week again, and I'm very excited to have C.A.Szarek hanging out with me on my blog. Welcome C.A.!

About C.A. Szarek 





I'm originally from Ohio, but I got to Texas as soon as I could. :) I have a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice and went to the Police Academy in Ohio intending to be a cop, then I moved to TX and changed my mind a bit. I work with kids at both my jobs (A City Municipal Court and an Emergency Shelter for Teens) and I can't seem to get away from them. I have always been a writer...since I was a teen myself.
When I am not being a work-a-holic, I am writing. 






CeCe:  So glad to have you here. :) So, what project are you currently working on?

C.A: Several, actually. I am working on the sequel for the fantasy/romance book I just sold to Gypsy Shadow publishing, as well as a romantic suspense that another publisher expressed interest in. I also am currently doing a weekly serial on my blog. It’s also fantasy/romance, from the same world of my King’s Riders Series. As I mentioned above, the first one, entitled Sword’s Call will be out in 2013. 



CeCe: What Inspired you to write the first book?

C.A:  I get inspiration from anywhere, I think. I have been writing for so long, since I was about 14. I actually wrote my first book then. (Yes, I still have it. Interesting reading, that one. But I would soooo never show it to anyone).

I have always loved fantasy, and that is my first love as a genre, but I will read anything that looks good and often get inspiration from what I read.

CeCe: What genres do you write?

C.A: Fantasy Romance, Paranormal Romance, Contemporary Romance, Romantic Suspense, and the occasional YA.

CeCe:  How do you create your characters? How do you mould them to fit what you require for the story?

C.A: I am definitely am more character driven than plot driven, so when I make up a character, I try to get into their head as much as I can and learn them as well as I know myself. I think HOW they fit a story depends on the story, but they usually let me know when I don’t have something right—no, not crazy, don’t hear voices, but if you’re a writer, you know what I mean. ;)

CeCe: What is your writing style like? (more description, dialogue…)

C.A: I would like to think it’s a balance. I can tell you that I most definitely make sure my dialogue flows. Choppy dialogue in a story is a pet peeve. But description is very important as well. When reading, I like when I can be totally absorbed by a story, so I try my best to write like that as well. So you can use your senses to BE with my characters.

CeCe: Have you ever hated a character/ a story you wrote?

C.A.: No. Even with my villains, I have to get into their heads so I know them as a person, and unless they have some self-loathing, I don’t feel that way. Even the scum of the earth has their own motivations. I may not respect a character when I design their choices, but I guess I don’t ever see myself hating them since they are my own creation. Even bad guys can be respected, I suppose.

CeCe:  How did you do the research for the book you are currently writing?

C.A: My current MS (which doesn’t have a title right now) but is Romantic Suspense, stars an FBI hero and a Police Det. heroine and has honestly been a surprising challenge to me. I have a background in Law Enforcement as well as a bachelor’s in Criminal Justice and was shocked that I was struggling with putting the case together in my head and on paper. But, I have utilized my police department (I work in a municipal court) and have talked to many officers and detectives I know. They have graciously helped me a great deal.

As far as the Fantasy/Romance Series, I didn’t do research, I made it all up! J


CeCe: What project are you promoting?

C.A.: My first novel, Sword’s Call (Book 1 of the King’s Riders Series) will be out in April 2013. 

CeCe: What can readers and fans find you (online that is) 


My Blog: http://www.caszarekwriter.blogspot.com/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/caszarek

Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/caszarek 

11 comments:

  1. Great interview and congrats to you for the book release next year! Wow. That's awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx for having me today CeCe! I am really excited at the chance to be on your blog!

    Thanx Mina!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the interview! Congrats again on SC coming out next year! Can NOT wait to read and own it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the interview! Congrats again on SC coming out next year! Can NOT wait to read and own it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the interview! Congrats again on SC coming out next year! Can NOT wait to read and own it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the interview! Congrats again on SC coming out next year! Can NOT wait to read and own it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the interview! Congrats again on SC coming out next year! Can NOT wait to read and own it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting, and yes, for sure your dialogue is showing, as well as the story, so well that I blink and it takes me a few moments to realize I reached the 1000 words barrier...yeah, I have a little ....issue with that, lol, can't wait for next apri l!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic interview. Always wonderful to find out more author an author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Mina - Thank you. I look forward to read C.A.'s book.

    @ C.A. my pleasure. We had fun didn't we? :D Thanks for hanging out with me.

    @Tasha: Thanks.

    Jo-Ann Walker: Thanks

    @Diana g: can't wait for next year as well.

    @Savannah:Thank you.

    ReplyDelete